Sunday, April 19, 2015

Learning Theories and EdTech1 - Multiple Intelligences


My "Multiple Intelligences" Inventory


My MI Inventory shows that my strengths are in the "Intrapersonal" and "Linguistic" area of the 8 multiple intelligences according to Howard Gardner. My absolute weakness lays in the "Interpersonal" part. "

My teaching is certainly influenced by my "word smart" and "myself smart" intelligence, as I am able to phrase and rephrase problems, talk to my students on a level that they understand and which lowers their affective filter. Further, the intrapersonal strength serves me well when reflecting about my teaching and my students' learning. As for my weakness, the "Interpersonal", "people smart", area, teaching is a great profession for me, as I am usually responsible for myself and my students, not for the product of a team. However, the almost lack of this intelligence surprises me a bit, since I am usually a "team player", I share my experiences, share methods and materials. Yet, I guess I like doing things by myself, which opposes the actual definition of "people smart".

It is generally a good idea to know, where my students' strength are in terms of their intelligences. This helps me to give them choices in expressing themselves and in facilitating their learning. However, at times, I also try to challenge my kids in trying to look beyond their own box. But especially for assessments, it becomes more meaningful for the student, once their interest and their skills are included.

No comments:

Post a Comment