Sunday, March 29, 2015

Ready to play? - Game Based Learning


Now this was fun, interesting and my students will love it: I found more gaming websites and even made my first (very small) game with purposegames.com

It took me a little bit to figure out how to create a game that does not use the pre-settings, but once I took this hurdle, it was fairly easy. "Purposegames" is not necessarily fancy, but surely has its "purpose": especially for vocabulary reviews, warm ups, grammar drills, and geography, this tool is great. I can even see my students create games for each other.

I really just played around with it and took our recent German 1 vocabulary:



This is even nicer than "Kahoot", since the students can play this on their own time or when they are done with their work in class. 

Goals:

These options for gaming are very useful for reviews of vocabulary, grammar, and cultural knowledge.
The students can create their own games, therefor have to think how to design them, and which content to use.
Games in general lower the affective filter and add to frequency of words without the learner actually realizing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment